1.1 General and Introductory
- Berner G. "Dictionnaire Professionnel Illustre de l'Horlogerie". 1961. Chambre Suisse d'Horlog. Chaux de Fonds,
- Britten, F. J. "The Watch and Clockmakers Handbook; Dictionary and Guide", 14th Ed. 1938. Chemical Publishing Company, New York. 547 pp. [Comprehensive dictionary, with excellent index. Latest edition, 1978, edited by Richard Good (I haven't seen it). -Ron]
- Britten, F J: "Watch and Clockmaker's Handbook, Dictionary and Guide". 15th Ed. 1955. , E.&F.N.; Spon Ltd, London. [Watches & Clocks (movement types, repair, tools): Excellent. Full of useful information. Early editions (circa 1890) contain valuable information that has been omitted from the later ones so several versions are desirable. Richard Watkins (email@example.com)]
- de Carle, Donald. "Watch and Clock Encyclopedia". 2nd Ed. 1975. NAG Press, Ltd, London. 307 pp. [Concise and well illustrated, a nice companion to Britten's Handbook and Dictionary. -Ron]
- Forget C. "Elsevier's Dictionary of Jewelry and Watchmaking". 1984. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Milham, Willis I. "Time and Timekeepers". 1942. The MacMillan Company, New York. 616 pp. [A thorough and readable text on history, construction, care and accuracy of clocks and watches until 1923. Ron]
- Rees, Abraham. "Ree's Clocks, Watches, and Chronometers (1819-20)". (1970 reprint) David & Charles Reprints, Devon. 295pp., 47 engravings. [<Ian White <white@STC.NATO.INT>] [Selections from Ree's Cyclopedia. the first English encyclopedia to emphasize and illustrate technological innovation -Ron]
- Reutebuch, R. "Uhrmacher, Ein Lehrbuch". 1951. Kempter. Ulm.
- Schulte, C. "Lexikon Der Uhrmacherkunst". 1902. Aubner, Bautzen.
Table of Contents / Next
/ Horological Books